A Delicious Braai Dish
Spicy Chakalaka Potato Bake
A South African braai wouldn’t be the same without the perfect side dish, right? Well, why not take your braai up a notch with this Spicy Chakalaka Potato Bake; a delicious spicy twist on the traditional potato bake. This dish is a super tasty accompaniment for any meaty meal as well as a great option for our much-loved vegetarian guests.
Serves: 6 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
#TIP: Peel and slice the potatoes the night before your braai, luncheon or dinner party. Store the slices in a bowl of water (make sure the water completely covers your potatoes). This will cut your prep time in half and gives you more time to spruce your place up a bit!
What You Need:
- 800g/6 large potatoes
- 5ml of medium curry powder
- 45ml of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g can of Rhodes Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
- 250ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Rinse and peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into evenly thin slices.
- Place the potato slices into a bowl and season with curry powder, parsley, spring onions, salt and pepper. Shake the bowl a couple of times in order to mix the seasoning well.
- Pour the Rhodes Chakalaka Mild & Spicy into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Arrange neat layers of potato slices on top of the Rhodes Chakalaka.
- Evenly pour the cream over the potatoes.
- Bake the potato dish for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Cut into portions (optional) and serve hot.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then be sure to check out our Winter Delight recipe here.
[Recipe adapted from Rhodes Quality Online