A Winter Delight
Creamy Mussel Hot Pot
Delicious, affordable and super-easy to cook; creamy mussel hot pot can be served as a starter or as a main meal. This mussel hot pot is the perfect dish to fend off the nippy chill in the air, as we head into the winter months.
The best news? This meal can be made using just one dish, which means your clean-up time is cut down and more time can be spent enjoying family and friends. Best served with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc to compliment the meal, and don’t forget the crusty bread for dipping into the mouth-watering creamy sauce!
Serves: 6 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- A knob of butter
- A splash of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A large pinch of salt
- 200ml white wine
- 300ml cream
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 kg fresh mussels
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A handful of chives, chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- In a big pot or pan, heat butter and olive oil.
- Sauté onion in the butter and oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and reduce until the mixture is halved.
- Add the cream and parsley, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Boil until a good flavour and consistency has been achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the defrosted mussels, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes, shake the pan a couple of times to move the mussels around a little. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Add the lemon juice, chives and spring onion to finish.
If you are making this dish for guests and want to flex a bit, spread garlic mayonnaise on your crusty bread to tantalise the taste buds. Don’t forget to place a large bowl on the table for the empty shells.
If you need more reasons to enjoy the winter season, then be sure to also read our 8 Reasons Why We Love Winter in South Africa. Click here to check it out…
[Recipe adapted from Yuppiechef Online