Our Favourites: Ideal Meals for your Self-Catering Holiday
Make the most of your self-catering kitchen on your holiday with these easy recipes. Nobody wants to slave for hours in the kitchen while on holiday – try a few of these easy ideas on your next holiday:
One-Pot Cheesy Pasta Bake
This is an simple, family favourite pasta bake.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 250 g lean ground beef
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups unsalted crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 250 g uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup preshredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven
- Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet and sauté onions. Add beef and oregano, fry for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and pasta; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 12 to 13 minutes or until pasta is done. Stir in spinach.
- Sprinkle cheese over pasta mixture. Transfer the pasta mixture to an oven-safe dish and bake until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Recipe credit: www.myrecipes.com/
Sweet and Spicy Rice Salad
This is the perfect salad idea for leftover rice
- 410 g (1 tin) peaches, drained and chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Rajah medium curry powder
- 250 g back bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 3 – 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) Hellmann’s original mayonnaise
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and peppers until soft and light brown. Add the chopped bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Rajah Medium Curry Powder and cook for 2 minutes to release the aromatics.
- Add the peaches and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, mix the Hellmann’s Original Mayonnaise and rice together before adding in the onion/peach mixture and mixing until well combined.
- Allow to stand for 20 min before serving.
Recipe credit: https://www.whatsfordinner.co.za/